Monday, February 19, 2007

I've been reading Ginsberg again lately...





So, I've been here for about seven months now and I will say that it has been an incredible experience. I want to talk about some highlights...

The job has been tremendous. I look forward to going in and teaching these kids everyday. I liked teaching last year at home, but I never had the same bond with those kids as I do with these guys. The kids see me as something totally different from them. They see me as a source of variety and, even at their tender age, an icon for what the Western world is about. We learn, laugh, play and listen to music together and together we have grow close. Last week we had our kindergarten graduation. It was a very big deal for the kids, the parents, the school and for the teachers. We were charged with writing and directing skits, songs and dances. You all know that the performance arts are not a speciality of mine, but I think my two classes did really well. My Bear class did a little eight minute skit and dance. It went so well. The dressed up in rain jackets, boots and had their little yellow umbrella's. They talked about the weather and then sang and danced to "Rain Drops Keeping Fallin on My Head". I was very proud to see them on stage with big smiles, dancing and singing just as we practiced. I had never been part of something like that before and although it's a silly little graduation for Korean seven year olds, I got a sense of accomplishment from it. We all worked so hard and to see them up there nailing it was great. Sadly, they all will leave at the end of the month and I will get a new class. I will miss these kids a lot. They have learned a lot and we have had so many laughs. My favorite, Victor, is pretty much a Korean version of me. He dances, laughs and acts JUST like me. He always tells me,

"Teacher, I will come to America and go to Tennessee and we will drink the Soju together."

I laugh and remind him that he will be in America next year and that he will not be old enough to drink Soju. Still, it's funny to hear a little kid say that. So, I will have a new class in a couple weeks, but until them I will cherish the time with this bunch...




I broke down and got a cell phone. I'm so cool. It was nice to not have one, but it was time. I also finally got a haircut the other day. It's okay. I was always scared to get it done in Korea since I had heard all these scary stories. Go-woon (Karie) went with me and made sure that I came out looking like a white guy rather than fashionable Korean male which really looks like a gay guy.

We have gotten two new teachers. One from Cleveland and the other from Missouri. They're fun, but I just don't know them well enough yet. Two other teachers just finished their contracts and that why we got new guys in here. Here's all that we have left from Pat and Dena. It's a movie short. It's filmed in our school and at apartments.





I have also met a girl that I'm very fond of. Her name is Kim Go-woon. She's lots of fun and we have been inseparable since we met. I'm very happy to meet her, so wish me luck!







I'm trying to plan some more trips for the next few months and we'll see where that takes me. I'm thinking Japan and China and maybe Taiwan or something like that. I don't have too much time and the planning is most of the trouble...

I have grown quite accumstomed to Korea. Besides family and friends, there are few things that I miss. Sure, the variety of food in America is nice, but I have enjoyed eating Korea food. It's healthy and generally pretty good. I do miss American bread a lot. I just hate the taste of it here.

So, I have five months left and I intend on making the most of it. I'm sad that I'm on the backside of my time here, but that's life. What's next I have yet to figure out, but I do know that I want to spend some good time with family, friends, nature, music and, most of all, Sadie!!!!


Here's another video that I find funny!!




Here's on for Kristin...



Here's on for Mom...




Here's a couple for Trey...







Here's a couple for Uncle John...









Here's one for Dave...



Here's a couple for Dad...




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where's the rest of the movie??

Anonymous said...

These are great! Thank you for some special memories! Captiva.....aaahhh!

Anonymous said...

The ones for me were right on the mark. And the one you found funny about Asian girls and white guys, Andrew must be your twin, separated at birth!

Anonymous said...

how goes that book? dont forget to check out that street in youngdeungpo; u can pick up a starbucks at the head of it, and walk right down. (im still scared to take pictures, but someday i will try).
btw saw your Calling Hong Kong video.
Completely directionless; twinges of homo-eroticism and poor acting. I liked it. Let me in on your next space adventure.