Friday, October 26, 2007

Ice

Yesterday I was playing a game called, "Bum". It sounds a little odd, but it's a fun game. All you do is stand in a circle and kick the soccer ball when it comes to you. The only rule is that you have to make an effort if it's close to you and you must return it so it's playable. I have no soccer skills, but luckily I did play a lot of hackey-sack in high school, so the motion is one that I'm used to. Besides, a three year old could play this game.

Like in "HORSE", if you mess up in "BUM" you get a letter. Once you spell BUM then you must stand against the wall with your back facing the group and brace yourself because the other players are now trying to kick the ball at you or your bum, hence the name of the game.

I play with my British friends and one American friend and, of course, they all love and play soccer. Getting kicked by them is not fun. It's stings a bit. I mean, they can really kick a ball. I can barely make solid contact let alone try to aim at anything. So, I want to avoid getting any letters and therefore avoid getting hit.

Yesterday, we were playing and the ball bounced reasonably close to me. So, I made a valiant effort to kick the ball. I ran and extended my leg as far as it would go. Unfortunatelky, it was too far and now I walk with a very cool urban limp. I'm not sure what I did to my knee, but I'm going to give it a day and see how it heals and then I'll go from there. I did not have to go up on the wall though and I will continue to play BUM.

So, I guess the lesson is don't play any games with Brits. Ha!

Post Script:
I have a workshop tonight. I have to leave the city and stay with ALL the teachers. I'm not too thrilled for a few reasons. One, I have to sleep on the floor. Two, I can't stay up too late anymore and three, I won't be with 고. That's the biggest reason. This will be the first Friday ever and the first night away from her in 6 months. I miss her already, but I'll can always talk to her.

Also, I plan on updating you on 고's job this weekend. For now, she loves it and I'm so proud and happy for her.

So, while I'm icing my leg here's a little something for you...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rodge was here...

Anonymous said...

"Bum" was one of my all time favorite games growing up...We called it "Butts Up" in high school, but what do americans know about "soccer". I've taken my share of hits from the game...just make sure no one sneaks up behind you and nails you...that happened to me.

-Rodge

Anonymous said...

Sounds like quite a game! But "Bum"mer that you hurt yourself!

Foreigner this time, huh?

Can we make requests?

Anonymous said...

Great to be "reading you" again, George. I like the new focus on mundane activities. Afer all, that is what we spend most of our lives doing. Right? After my last 10 months, the more mundane the better. I have my last treatment on Halloween. How fitting! Love and hugs to you both!

Uncle J.