Monday, October 16, 2006

Uncle George Reflects

Family is so very important to every person on earth. It is the social unit that helps guide us through most of life's decisions. True, society and friends also play a role, but those things fade with time. Friends will come and go and social norms and mores are ever evolving, but family remains static. Of course, a family member can change. My family has seen all sorts of changes since it's conception. We've seen a little death and few changes of heart. We've seen lifestyles change and severe ideological differences, but we're a family and what doesn't change is love.

No matter where we are in life or how far removed we might seem, we always love, care and respect each other. It is this bond that transcends time. It this bond that is too strong to weather when it rains. As we all know, Kristin and Trey are about to give birth to their first child. Her name is still up for debate, but the two big ones are Libby (Elizabeth) and Hattie (Harriet).

I won't say which one I favor, but I will say that if she were to be named after my mother, Harriet, she would have some big shoes to fill. Mom has been an inspiration to me and everyone that has been fortunate to come into contact with her. She has raised two children that have unyielding commitments to human and animal life. She raised us to protect, respect and love the earth. She instilled a strong commitment to family. She showed me that we, as humans, can't dwell on pain. We must be resilient, we must be strong and we must not hold grudges. We all know that she lost her parents early and this was the hardest thing she endured in her life, but she made the best of it. I know a wealth of stories about her parents. She left their legacy with us. She left their memories and now Kristin and I will always have those. She knew in her early twenties that life is too precious and too short. All we know, at this point, is that we only get a few years together on this earth and that's it, so make the most of it. She understands that while our path might not be the one she would choose, it is still something to support and respect. I've gotten some wonderful advice from her through the years and I can't wait for the upcoming decades because she is only getting better and becoming a more beautiful human being than I could ever imagine. Mom, you're great...

While she has been the driving force at the forefront, I can't omit the influence I have gotten from my father. First of all, my two parents are polar opposites. It's funny to think about sometimes. Dad has a way of dropping the formalities of a father-son relationship and he brings it to this raw level that only the two us can understand. I really enjoy it. He cares a lot and has a more subtle, yet real way of showing it. His thing is that life is a personal journey full of decisions that must be made by the individual, independent of outside influence. This does not mean that I have not gotten some stellar advice from him because I have. He likes people to follow their dreams regardless of the possible outcome. This is how we truly know ourselves and how we can achieve true happiness. I respect the hell out of this guy. His intellect, his drive and his passions are quite inspiring. His musical tastes and his articulation of the modern world are refreshing. He has a lot to offer this world and I have a feeling he's just getting started. Good luck, pal...

Since this is titled "Uncle George", I need to address my Uncle. Respect and admiration are not strong enough, but it's a start. We have had an evolving relationship as the two of us have grown. He, of course, was there for the whole thing. He was in France actually when I was born, but hey, I'll be in Korea so maybe that's a sign. We were close in the sense that he was my Uncle and I was his nephew, but it wasn't until college that we earned a real human and mutual respect for each other. We both like to claim that we can solve the worlds problems through dialogue and a vote. We can, but that's not why we're close. I think he sees a little of himself in me and I see a little of what I want to be in him. His culture, his wit, his dedication to his morals and values are inspiring. He loves the world and has a great deal of respect for the wonderful place we all somehow ended up inhabiting. And although he likes to give Harriet a hard time now and then, he does it out of love. He does it because he, too, understands family. Uncle John, thanks...

I haven't mentioned one person. This person has always been my best friend from the time I was born. She carried me when I was a baby (and an adult ;)). She let me participate in her slumber parties and she has always been my biggest fan. Of course, I'm talking about my sister. This woman is a truly incredible person and I can't even explain my immense respect for her. Sure, we disagree on virtually every political issue and cause, but I think that that in itself is a testament for the strength the familial bond holds. We are so similar on some many levels that if we just look at each other, something clicks and laughter ensues. Kristin, please know that I am going to be involved with this child's life every step of the way. I am crushed that I can't be in the waiting room for you and her. I will be there in spirit and when I return next year, my beautiful niece is getting some serious Uncle time. I love her so much already and can't wait for the big day. Good luck and get ready for the PAIN! Only kidding, but seriously, it's going to hurt like hell...

So, I guess this post turned into a family appreciation thing, but I wanted to let you know that I love you all very much and can't wait to rock it next year. Dad and Uncle John, I'll bring the Soju...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What can I say? It has been my greatest pleasure and greatest reward. I love you!

Anonymous said...

Wow-Mom called me early this a.m. and read this entry to me. It started both of our days off with a good cry. Since the second I laid eyes on you upon your return home from the hospital, I adored you. I loved holding you, carrying you around (or pushing you in my doll carriage...) you know the stories. I have ALWAYS been so proud and honored to call you my little bro' and my life would be so completely different and empty in MANY ways without you at it's center. Even though you are thousands of miles away from me physically, you haven't moved from the center of my heart and daily thoughts.

Our relationship has provided hours on end of laughing, sillyness as well as companionship and strength when times have gotten extremely difficult in our family. In recent years, you've acted as a sounding board when I've been a little confused, a reminder that life is short and it's a gift to be lived and enjoy not to labor through and be serious all the time. You've provided me with the most wonderful and special friendship I could ever ask for and I can only pray that Trey's and my children have as unique and solid of a friendship and brother/sister bond as we've been blessed with. I love you SOOOOO much little bro'!

The Expat said...

I only wrote this post because you guys are the most important thing in my life. We've always stuck together and I'm glad we all recognize each other's importance. Love ya...

Anonymous said...

George, I do appreciate the kind words. It has been great fun watching you develop and change over the years. Who would have thought that you would turn into such a radical, as we liked to call such folks in the 60s. What's great about your radicalism is that it is based on serious thought, readling, and reflection, in addition to your natural passion. But watch out if you ever run into Aunt Dodie again! There's a story there I'll tell you some day.