Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving in Korea

The table is set, the candles are lit, the wine is poured and the turkey is cut. It's time for the feast of the year. It's time for everyone to take a break from work or school and travel to spend time with family and friends. I've done it for the last 23 years of my life, but not this year.

Of course, each year has been a little different. I've eaten with family at home and I've eaten with family at close friends houses. Sometimes we watched football and othertimes we'd argue over how boring the Macy's Day Parade is. I never win that one, but everyone knows it's boring. At this point, Mom and Kristin have had the Christmas music in full swing for about a month and most of the shopping has been done for several months. It's a great time. It's a great break where we all get to sit, relax and enjoy being a family.

This year is different. Kristin, Trey, Hattie and Sadie (intentional omission of Esther) are dealing with an ever-increasing fussy Hattie. I guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. Poor Trey, but he knew what he signed up for when he married her. Mom and David are entertaining his kids which I know is hard for Mom. Not because of his kids, but because we're not there. I think this is the first for her. That leaves me, here, in Korea on Thanksgiving night all alone. I am not sad though. I am not homesick or looking for pity comments. I am thankful.

The meaning of this day has been lost on me for years. It was always a time to hang out and mooch of the parents for the week. However, today I am thankful. Why?

I'm thankful that I have an audience who reads this and cares about me. I'm thankful that I have family at home that can feel the emptiness at the table because I'm not there. I'm thankful for those who have helped me get to where I am today. I'm thankful that my parents are all still alive and healthy. I'm thankful that I am the Uncle of a niece who has two incredible people for parents. I'm thankful that Trey had a band called Ezra and that they were better than "Better Than Ezra". I'm thankful for Emmie, Prince, Sadie, Boston, Pepper, Snipes, Snoops, Snaps, Hayden Fox from Coach, Sierra, Dottie Hen, Hayden, Amos, Lakota, Abbie, Barley, Gideon, Snappy, Berrie, Squeeky, Pookie, Marmalade, the love birds, the fish, critter cages and even Esther. I'm thankful for my friends at home who I love dearly. I'm thankful that they can be with their families and friends tonight. I'm thankful for the memories I've created with the scores of people I've met in this wonderful world. I'm thankful for the people I'll meet in the future. I'm thankful for the musicians who have played the music that has been the soundtrack to my life. I'm thankful for American and Korean women. I have learned a lot from them all. I've learned the importance of loyalty and honesty. I'm thankful for that even if they came at a cost. Still, that's a cost I would pay again any day. I'm thankful for the two most important women in my life. Without them I would not be here and I would not be the person I am today. I'm thankful that I can sit here alone writing all of this and not feel sad. I am so thankful for what I hold dear to me that I could never be sad on earth. I'm sitting here writing with a smile on my face knowing all of you are together and hopefully reflecting on what is important to you.

I'm thankful for you all. All of you have been part of this experiment as I have yours.

Most of all, I'm thankful for life. Thanks for being part of it...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were soooo missed at our Thanksgivng table. Awfully dry conversation without you!

You caught me off guard with this blog...as you do sometimes, and as I attempted to read it to David my weeping kept him from understanding...he said he will read it himself later...HA!

How lucky am I to have a child who appreciates and is content with where he is in this life?

You speak the words all of us feel and thank you for that!

I am thankful that I could be one of the women that helped you on your life path. I would not change a minute of it.

And, for the record, it is the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and it WAS awesome, as always!!!

Anonymous said...

George, as usual you find just the right words and thoughts to mark an occasion. I thought about what TD would be like for you over there. It's never easy to be that far from family and friends. Your positive attitude is contagious.

And I am so with you on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. What a snoozer!

Anonymous said...

What a thoughtful, wonderfully phrased blog entry. No surprise to you, but I cried throughout it. The thought of you being so far from us on such a special holiday was tough for me to swallow (Trey too, although he's really busy these days with his Ezra "gigs"- I forgot to mention the band is back together and he's growing his hair out again- ha).

I know we're "growing up" and sometimes that means family moving farther away from one another, though it's a shame. Let's not go to this extreme, though- Korea is a BIT too far, really! :)

I just look forward to having you back here, if not in Cinti, at least in the States next year to make more special family memories next holiday season. I'll have our favorite part of The Muppets Family Christmas cued- okay?

Love you GWEE!

Willie & Patti said...

You are true to the Hogan family...all of you have the gift of words and use it wonderfully. Willie and I are very thankful for so many reasons this year and family and friends are tops on the list. Willie has come through a rough time and is doing much better and I am hanging in per usual! I can't see doing anything else but being thankful for all of our bounties. Hope you get the card we sent for Christmas!