Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Fellow Teachers...

First of all this post was messed up because I tried to add a picture to it. That is why Rhett's description was deleted. Sorry, I'll try to fix it


I guess I should introduce the other foreign teachers who are here with me. We're a mixed bunch, but get along great. It's a new experience for me to know people from all over the country, let alone the world. So I'll briefly describe them:

Aaron is from Chicago. He's 24 and just recently signed his second year contract. He graduated from the University of Chicago with a Philosophy degree. He too has been very helpful. At the end of my first night he and is Korean girlfriend Gina stayed up and walked me home. Thank God, because I would have been wondering around all night with no idea what to do or where to go for help. I still don't know my address. Aaron is stocky, but not meant to be. He might be enjoying the Korean food too much, but he carries it well. He's going to be the one that I discuss politics with here and all other world affairs. As Uncle John put it, "we'll solve all the world's problems." He likes to read non- fiction and listens to similar music. In fact, when he told me he was from Chicago I immediately asked him if he listened to my personal favorite (or second favorite according to Danz and Byrns) Umphrey's Mcgee. His eyes lit up and said that he has seen them and really enjoys them. Actually, he had a lot a friends who have gone to Summer Camp (a music festival that I went to this summer) in Illinois. He also likes Sound Tribe Sector Nine, another favorite of mine. Plus, he'll be able to fill in for Chris Byrns while I'm here. No one can replace Byrns C though...that would be impossible.

Joel is next. This guy is outrageous. He is a 28 year old foul mouth history major from Baton Rouge. He was graduated from the University of New Orleans and has since traveled around the world and taught all over the place. I'm talking Guatemala, Spain, Honduras, China, Thailand, and now he's here. This guy has seen a lot. He's got interesting ideas about xenophobia, homogeneity, and racism too, but I'll post several times about that as the year progresses. He has a very interesting world view. It's different and I don't always agree, but he's a smart guy and he's always willing to debate, especially after a few drinks. He does not actually teach at my school though. He did last year, but went home for grad school only to find that New Orleans was not the same city that he once loved. On a side note and I thank Kristin for this fact, South Korea gave more money to the Katrina effort than any other country. Maybe they know one day with all this monsoon activity over here Seoul will need their help. Back to Joel... He says he'll return after this year, but who knows. I think he's had a hard time shaking the world traveler ideals he has held so close to him for the past six years. We'll see. He's a good guy.

Dave Lohman is another great guy. I know his last name because he is on facebook. He's got dark skin, dark hair and looks rather Jewish, but is actually German. What a great breed we are. My first night here I was with Rhett at his place waiting for all the other teachers to come over before we went out and they kept on referring to somebody as "Nosey". This is a nickname he has earned here. I also have a large nose as you all know and assumed that it was only a matter of time until it is discussed. Of course my nose has always been a topic of discussion, so I am not offended or anything like that. Within a minute of thinking that to myself, here comes Joel, "Well, you might be able to give him some competition. You two should have a nose-off." The room erupted in laughter as did I, so they knew no line was crossed. It was funny, and I was happy that they felt comfortable enough with me to joke like that. That's how friends joke. So Dave comes in and, yeah, he's got a large nose too. It's different than mine though. Kristin would understand when I say that his measurements are little larger. Dave went to Dickinson College in Pennsylvania for Music. He loves classical music and from what I understand, has a beautiful baritone singing voice. I tried to get him to sing me a little number, but he refused claiming he would be embarrassed. I'll get him to do it and I'll report back. Apparently, he sang "My Heart Will Go On" from the Titanic movie in a wedding a few weeks ago. I bet that was funny. He's a great guy too like the rest of them.

Mike is from Chicago as well and studied international business at the University of Chicago. He is a quarter Japanese and has been in Asia on and off his whole life. He speaks Japanese and Korean very well. He is actually taking classes here to improve his Korean. Rhett is also doing that. I prefer to use my hands when my taxi/restaurant vocab runs out. Mike likes basketball, American football and working out. However, he is not defined by that. He is a very smart, very friendly guy. He'll be a lot of fun here and he has probably helped me out the most with my broken Korean vocab. I'd be lost if these guys weren't around and ready to help out.


Ben is from Wales. Unfortunately, I do not know a lot about Ben since he's only been out with us once since my arrival. He does seem nice and very loyal, but beyond that I just don't have much to say yet.

There are a few more teachers, but many of them have been traveling the past week since we've been on vacation. I'll meet them and update this post.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be able to refer to these descriptions of your school crew in the future when you talk about them so thank you!

You have always been so lucky with finding wonderful friends!

Could it be something about you??

Mom

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a couple of these guys could potentially be added to the band of Merry Men...I guess only time will tell, huh? ;) Just out of curiosity...what were his nose measurements? Heehee.

The Expat said...

Mom, just sign in so it will sat Mom rather that anonymous.