Sunday, August 20, 2006

Meet me at the...Family Mart?

In Seoul there are millions of things a man of my age can do during the evening, but I'm only here for the year, so I must choose wisely. If I were to go to over 100 bars a night, I still would not see them all. If I went to well over 200 restaurants a day, I still would not see them all. If I went to over 7 sauna's a day, I still would not see them all. My point is that there are so many things to do here and so little time. So what have I done more than anything?

I have been going to the Family Mart. What is it? It's a convenience store. It has beer, snacks, ice cream, cigarettes, maps and everything else that you would see in the States and probably all over the world. There is one major difference: You can drink there. They have tables outside with chairs and you purchase your poison inside and then drink it outside. Korea has tons of cafe's, but these are not cafe's. Cafe's usually serve food and they usually have someone waiting on you. The Family Mart does not have those things. I has tables on the sidewalk and that's it. We go there for a host of reasons, but the biggest reason is that it's cheap. Bars are cheaper here than at home, but not by much. I enjoyed going to bars when I was at home, but usually preferred staying in with friends and drinking there. Since we all live in small apartments here, there are very few options besides the bars. That is why we go to the Family Mart.

In Korea there is a drink that is very popular. It's a drink that you see everyone drinking all the time. In my pictures on webshots you can see it. It's in a green bottle and it's called Soju. People drink it all over the world, but I had not ever seen it before. Ben said he saw it in Wales a few times, but it was certainly not consumed there like it is here. It's a potato liquor that tastes like vodka with a hint of rum. It's good and costs less than a dollar a pint. Yeah, it's that cheap.

So we'll meet there after work or dinner and sit at the tables for hours. We'll drink, laugh, talk and play drinking games while the busy Seoul streets bustle less than eight feet away. When people walk by they'll usually glare over at us and wonder why we are there and having so much fun. They do this because foreigners usually don't spend their evenings this way. The typical foreigners are mostly at the bars or hofs. Not us though, we join in with the older Korean population who chooses to sit and watch the city go by. We choose to play drinking games and wrestle in the streets. We choose the Family Mart.

By the way, while I was writing this Dave called.

"You want to meet at the Family Mart?"

So, I'm off...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for the Family Mart! So glad to know there is a place my son can go and drink for cheap.

I would like to know if any good times can revolve around a good, old-fashioned coke?! The commercials say it can. ;)

Anonymous said...

I had a good time with an old-fashioned coke the other day. I used it to chase a shot of ten high.

I Just finished catching up on your blog since I have been without internet for a couple of weeks. It sounds like you are having a great time. Look forward to hearing more.

The Expat said...

Great comment Sid...

Anonymous said...

I'm with Mom- you can't discount the possible fun you could have with a good ol'coke or hey, even a bottle of juice! Refreshing AND good for you.

I can totally see you guys out there, your table alongside those of the old Korean men commenting on every poor "passer-byer"...kind of like the old guys from the Muppets that sat in the balcony. I know, I know you say I talk about them "all the time" but it's been at least 6 months since I last made reference to them! ;)

Anonymous said...

I was going to ask you to bring me back a bottle of Soju, but the airport authorities might decide it is an explosive device, which it sounds like it is. " Santé", as the Frogs would say.

The Expat said...

Mom,

Grow up...

Kristin,

You DO talk about those damn guys all the time. Oh yeah, grow up...

Roger,

What does my day consist of? I wake up at about 8:30am and shower. I eat breakfast, usually cereal, and then walk to work. It takes about two minutes to get there. I work all day and then go out to eat and drink with the teachers or go I home, eat and write. The weekends are a bit more lively, but you know, work is work no matter where you live. You can't escape the daily grind my friend. You know that now that you are in a serious job setting. I bet accounting is all about the grind. I don't really drink tea, maybe if I was in a rural setting, but not here. I don't have a lot of free time, but I make it work. I get out of work at about 4:30. I teach about nine classes a day. How about you? What does your day consist of?

Uncle John,

I'll bring a bottle back and if not I'll order a few bottles and greet you in Knoxville for a nights of Soju and stories. I did hear about the explosive device thing, but I'll probably be taking a non-US Airline. I hope I can find Soju after this year. My taste buds will go crazy if not. Luckily, I keep up my whiskey diet as well.