Sunday, August 27, 2006

One Month update

So I've been here just over a month and I'm trying my best to keep up with the blog so I can give you guys a real sense of what and how I am doing. I feel that I've done a fairly good job and will continue to do so for the next eleven months. I am going to write a monthly update on how I feel, what I want to do while I'm here, what I miss and so on and so forth.

It has been a real neat experience so far. Living in Korea has really been good for me and I know it will only get better. I am discovering things about myself and my world that I never knew. I am getting different perspectives from my friends, my bosses, my solo ventures and even when I go to the bars. I have a deep appreciaition for Asian culture and although you can not apply one culture to all of them, there is a common thread. They treasure different ideals. They treat foreigners with great respect. They are always genuine and loyal. However, they are not the same. There's a huge difference even in the cultures in Seoul versus Pusan (a southern city).

I am hanging out with people who have lived in the Middle East, Southest Asia, China, Mongolia, Brazil, Guatemala, France, The Netherlands, The Northern Territory's of Canada, Germany, Wales, Ireland, India, Taiwan, Russia and just about everywhere in between. They are all world travelers and with that comes a certain personality. It's a very realistic approach to life. They have taken their knowledge of the world and with each new place they go to a little more understanding is gained. And when we all go home, it is our family who benefits from our experience. It is our friends who benefit. It is our country that benefits. If we can all understand a little bit about each other, this would be an a very peaceful world. Understanding comes from experience. You do not have to accept differences in culture. You do not have to agree with these differences, but you must understand why they exsist.

What do I miss? I miss family and friends the most of course. I really miss having a bond with an animal. I have been very lucky to have an animal around me for the last 23 years. This is the first time I have been away from that bond. I had my pets growing up. I had Amos Dog, Snipes and the guinea pig in college and I had Esther and Sadie last year. Now I have none. It's sad, but I know I'll see them all soon. (Rest in peace Snipes and Lakota. I miss you two a lot.) I miss sitting in the grass, climbing trees, driving, Cheerios, drinkable faucet water and a dryer. I miss my comfortable queen-sized bed, PBS, NPR, watching Cincinnati sports with Kristin and Trey. I miss dancing with my friends, live music, festivals and everything that goes along with them. I miss going deeper, the back deck, going to the creek with Sadie, my kids from last year, talking to Jennifer, staying with Byrns, and camping with my friends. I miss drinking whiskey straight from the bottle, Steele Reserve, Tennessee, appreciation for American football, tye-dye shirts, carpet, American cheese and microwaves. I miss all that, but I can live without them for a year.

I do not miss TV news, the President and his supporters, gas prices, the heat, television or southern accents. Honestly, I had to struggle to come up with that list. So what does that mean? You know what it means...

All in all, I love Korea and am happy that I made to hard decision to come here. Who knows where it will take me?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss.... your daily phone calls, knowing I will see you in just a few weeks or months, your entertaining stories from Jelly Bean Junction, worrying about the length of your hair...(NOT!!!), getting the most up-to-date standings of the Cincinnati teams, receiving your most recent book wish-list and hearing about the books you have just read, your great laugh and being showered with your wonderful sense of humor. Eleven more months...time, please fly!

What I do NOT miss...your fussing about American politics.

You mentioned pets...but no specific mention of the three dogs that sealed your fate in the love and respect of wonderful furs...Boston (may he rest in peace), Emmie and Prince. What is the big idea? Feelings could be very hurt if there was an awareness of this real snub! ;) I will try and cover for you but Emmie and Prince are expecting exceptional treats when you return next year!

I love you, George!

Mom

Anonymous said...

Ok, get over this fleabag stuff -- sorry, Harriet. No, I really do understand. But it's also nice to have a break from the walking, feeding, brushing, cleaning up messes, etc. Maybe you didn't have to do too much of that.

I enjoyed your list of things missed and things not missed. I can tell you that I am so tired of "anniversaries" -- all we've been hearing for the past weeks is about Katrina. Get over it, everyone. "_it happens"!! And now five years since 9/11 is just around the corner. Glad you won't have to put up with all that.

One thing that is in the not so distant future for you is "reverse culture shock." Wait till you get home, and everything -- except for the American cheese and dryer -- seems so foreign.

Keep 'em coming. I really enjoy you, especially the fussing about our politics!

The Expat said...

Mom,

Boston, Emmie and Prince obviously started the passion. A few weeks? What is that about? The time will fly by, however, the question is do I want it to fly by? I love it here.

Uncle John,

Don't worry, I got slammed with Katrina stuff too. Remember, SK gave more money than any other nation. I can't wait until 9/11 passes too. It's tiring. I'm excited about the "reverse culture shock", that sounds like a neat experience as well.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you are missing all those things....especially Suuuusan and Esther. Sadie still wants me to open the door to the "bordello" most mornings just in case Uncle George is down there. Esther and Sadie both went into your room to do a little snooping last night and Sadie sleeps on your bed while we're gone during the day as is evidenced by all her fur on your bedspread....Suuuusan.

Trey and I miss you too....it's kind of quiet around the house but I guess "Baby C" will take care of that in another few weeks! Every time I serve salad on our PLATES (as opposed to your preferred separate BOWL) and don't get a "NOOOOOO!" I'm reminded that you're gone. :)

I sure will miss watching the BENGALS this football season with my bro. You know, you're the one that got me to watch my first full football game on T.V. and first NFL game-ever! That's impressive! I guess Baby C and I will have to watch them together without Uncle George this year. Maybe I can drag "Trois" away from his school work in the bordello to watch a game or two as well. ;) WHO 'DEY!