Sunday, September 17, 2006

Friday in the Park



My school goes on at least one field trip a month. For September, we went to this neat park about 25km outside of Seoul. It was so nice to leave the city and see some wilderness and most of all, sit in the grass. It was very relaxing and the kids really enjoyed it. It was quite pretty as well.










We were only there for a few hours, but I felt great afterwards. I haven't lived in a city for that long at all, but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to live far away from nature. This might be the hardest thing about the year. Sure, we can leave the city and cruise around the peninsula, but there is something about being surrounded by a concrete jungle tha just seems like a real downer. I smelled freshly cut grass last week for the first time in a couple months and it was the most wonderful aroma. I couldn't believe how great a feeling I got when its scent hit my nose. It's funny how the small things can really get to you.

The park was like Xanadu for me. I played soccer with the kids and had a grand old time on the playground. In college, if we couldn't go to the Obed or mountains, we'd simply go to the park and sit in a tree. I love being outside in nature. It was just what I needed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a very serene place and sounds like you needed that kick of trees, water and grass to "unwind" a bit. Even the active kiddos running around could not alter that outcome, huh? Just think of them, city kids, having to go so far for a TREE to sit in!!

Anonymous said...

Looks like the Seoul city planners, if there were any, left out the parks. Too bad that you have to go so far. I know you miss the outdoor life. And pls. explain more about your plans to backpack, I think you said, in N. Korea!

Anonymous said...

I've never lived in a city that didn't have trees all thoughout the city and that wasn't surrounded by trees. I even struggled being in the beachy area of VA and then TX where there were mainly pine trees and not oaks, maples....

The park and surrounding area look beautiful from the pictures and it looks like the kids were having a blast. You're so cute with them.