Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Do They Ever Work?

While American TV is polluted with reality shows, crime shows and 24 hour garbage like Fox News, Korea is doing their own thing. They have the kind of shows that people imagine when they think of Asian television. Something with the title of "Happy Smile Super Challenge Family Wish Show" or maybe the "Super Terrific Happy Time Hour" comes into mind.

Korea doesn't have these type of shows, however they do have shows staring out-of-work or under-worked actors, actresses, comedians and singers participate in these sometimes funny and oftentimes repetitive and overly simplistic concept shows. One is called 무한도전 ("Infinity Challenge").

무한도전 consists of six males who are always on there and the occasional famous cameo (Thierry Henry, Fedor Emelianenko, Maria Sharapova, and Michelle Wie). Each week these guys do 70 minutes of nothing and people love it. Some absurd challenges range from racing in a foot pedalled swan boat against a motor boat, to appearing live on stage at a public fashion show. It's funny, but the question to me is what the hell do they guys do? This is not work. Even Mr. Bean made a living by being silly and socially awkward in movies and TV, but these guys don't have anything special short of being good sports.

I must admit though, I like it from time to time. The host, 유재석 (Yu Jae-seok), made his television debut in 1991 singing a cover of the song Step by Step by New Kids on the Block.



And here's a little Christmas cheer...




I know you couldn't understand any of that (I couldn't either), but you get the point. I guess I wondering why these shows are so successful in Asia? I know China, Thailand and Japan also sport these kinds of shows. Why? Why are Asian viewers so interested in this? What are these guys going to do for work in three to five years?

In the end, I can kind of understand why they watch this. It's stress free fun. That is something that is not enjoyed by that many in Asia. Between academies, stress from school and fourteen hour work days, stress in all too common. It's a break.

I know this is a non sequitur, but the real question is why do Americans obsess over CSI and Fox News? Do we have nothing better to do than watch this false reality?


I think I trust the people who laugh at silliness more than those who get entertained by crime and lies...

Ha! Sorry for the rant...

P.S. Romney, Guiliani and Thompson can kiss my ass!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty outrageous stuff, huh?

Some of that goes a long way just like the CSI stuff and I do not watch Fox news!!!

What about Bloomberg?

The Expat said...

I'm pumped that he left the GOP! Good for him! It's a start!

Anonymous said...

Amen for Romney, Giuliani, and "Hollywood Fred"!!

Logan Row said...

Geez guys!!! Ya'll need to leave the politics at the door.
"pass the meatloaf, please."
"would ya' like a Donkey or an Elephant button with that?"