Saturday, June 09, 2007

Homeward Bound

As you all know very well by now, 고 and I are coming home for all of August plus a little more before and after. In honor of the upcoming trip I decided to add a couple videos...


Here's a 1967 Simon and Garfunkel from Monterey.



And here is the famed concert in Central Park.



I thought that those were appropriate. When I was on my way here last July, I remember being on the plane and listening to my Ipod when Homeward Bound came on. I turned it off right away as I thought it might make me homesick. I figured getting homesick on my way to Korea was kind of lame. However, I thought about how nice it would be to be listening to that on my way back home and now that time has come. I know I have seven weeks left, but it will go by fast and then 고 and I will be on our way.

We're so excited and are in the process of buying our tickets home. They are expensive though, but we'll make it!

Here's the plan...


  • July 27th: Fly from Korea to Oklahoma.


Of course we'll have several stops along the way. Our options so far are Korea to Japan to Chicago and then to Tulsa or Korea to Japan to Detroit and then to Tulsa. We'll be tired, but drinking banana coladas and martinis by the pool won't take too much effort. The jet lag might take a slight toll on us as well.




  • July 27th - August 5th: Tulsa, Oklahoma


I imagine this time will be spent sleeping, eating, drinking, swimming (고 will learn) and playing games. We're going to try and hike with the dogs, hangout with Joyce and Luis, get to know Hattie, check out some Native American sites and rock out with the family. That'll be nice. It has been a year since we last hung out and I need to have a good political spit with Dave.




  • August 5th - August 11th: Phoenix, Arizona


Now, it's time to hang out with Dad. Usually when we visit Dad, we have several things planned and this trip is not different. Besides seeing the new house and drinking and talking by the pool, we plan to check out the Grand Canyon and even head down to Nogales, Mexico. We're not too sure what to do down there as I have not ever been either, but maybe this will help you guys.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nogales,_Sonora



I'm not sure what we'll do in Mexico. Presumably we'll eat the food and drink some stiff margaritas.



Besides those two things, I'd really like to float the Snake River and get a massive sunburn like always. Maybe even ride a horse??




  • August 11th - August 17th: Ohio and Tennessee

This week will be spent traveling around visiting people mostly. We'll start in Cincinnati and get to know Hattie some more and catch up with Kristin, Trey and Sadie. We'll hike around the creek, go to a Red's game and I'm not sure there is anything else to do in Cincinnati. Oh yeah, we'll go to the ONLY Korean restaurant which in actually in Covington, KY. From Cincinnati, we'll go to Knoxville where we'll spend the rest of the week with family and my great friends. We'll drink, dance, camp and do what we always did. Most of the people have moved on, but there are still a few left. Get ready!

  • August 17th - August 25th: Family Vacation in the Adriondacks

This is going to be wild. We'll be up there for the week. We'll grill out, canoe, hike, swim, fish, sleep, play, drink, relax and enjoy being together for the week because soon after, I'll be heading back to Korea for one final run...

  • August 25th - September 2nd - 6th

This will be our time to relax and tie up any loose ends before we cruise out. I know that I need to renew my Tennessee drivers license at a fictious address. I have not lived there in a couple years, but I don't want to have to take the written drivers test again. I will sometime, but not now.

The whole trip will be a nice break. I will miss Korea though. Korea is my home. It'll be strange driving my car instead of filing into the crowded, but nice, subways of Seoul. It will be weird ordering food without incident. I'm not sure if I remember what it's like to be in a house or feel carpet under my feet. It'll be hard to use restraint when making fun of people because I'll run the risk of people understanding what I'm saying. I'm not going to even comment on how odd it will be to see white people. At least I'll have my favorite person with me reminding me of our home...

If you want to do something special with me and 고, then let me know now...










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the verse from Homeward Bound goes "Home, where my music's playing". And your music is always playing.

We have got our music system all set and ready to go....the music inside and the music outside by the pool. Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Harry Connick, Michael Buble and so on and so forth! ;)

Well, maybe we will give you some leeway with this....80's and Phish?? You can decide. But maybe...in honor of Go-woon (and Stephen Colbert)....RAIN???!!!

Joyce and Louis have already requested all of us for dinner one night so remember their Native Americn collection??? Almost as good as the Gilcrease Museum.

We will have great fun and I am already organizing and planning. My nature as you know!!

Love you both!

Anonymous said...

Wonder where your Mom got that nature -- that wonderul German heritage -- "Alles in Ordnung." I suffer from that myself

Love the comment about ordering food without incident.

Your itinerary sounds back-breaking but fun. You will have to go back to Korea to rest up.