Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Will Smith in Duel?

I wish.

I saw Seven Pounds the other day. It was good, but totally unclear until the scene where he met his friend, Dan, in the hotel room. It also became pretty predictable after awhile, but it never got boring. I’ve got to admit that Will Smith has really come a long way and he has been pulling off some totally convincing roles lately. I can’t believe how far he’s come since Independence Day, Bad Boyz and MIB. He still employs some of his more cavalier qualities that got him where he is today, but the roles that he’s been cast into recently give me the impression that he could become one of the greats. He’s got a long way to go, but if the writing is good enough, I think he’ll be fine.

I think that if he nails Oh Dae-su in the upcoming Old Boy remake, then I’ll be totally convinced. It’s up to Spielberg now though. If it’s as good as Duel then I’ll be a success no matter you look at it.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree. For the most part, I like every movie he has been in. Wild Wild West is one exception. I have always thought that while he might not be one of the best actors out there (although I agree that he could become one) he knows how to pick a good script.