Wednesday, November 28, 2007

K-Pop

Korean music is interesting. I like it for the same reasons I like some 80's music. It's kind of catchy and some songs are great, but overall it's a bit silly. If you like love ballads (not monster ballads) and pop music then this is perfect for you. If you like band music (like me) then stick with your Ipod.

As you know from Colbert, Rain is a popular Korean pop star. However, he's not that big in Korea anymore. He appeals more to an international audience. The recent countdown that I saw featured 10 of the most popular songs on the charts. I remember number 2 and 3. A major difference here is that 8 year olds like the same thing the 28 year olds like. That generation gap makes no difference.

I liked this song the first time I heard it because it sounded like mediocre American 1990s pop (which is great). This song is by Big Bang and it's played all over the place. It's called 거짓말 or Lies.



And this next one is just horrible. I don't know the appeal, but people like it!!!
It's the Wonder Girls singing Tell Me.



By the way, all these pop "stars" are under 21 and the youngest is 15.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hardly know what to say. I think you covered it pretty well.

Does Go like either of these?