Wednesday, November 28, 2007

World Cup

The World Cup isn't until 2010, but the draw was held this week. Some teams have an easy group and some teams don't. England has to play Croatia who recently beat them and dashed their hopes in the 2008 Euro Cup. USA will be playing Cuban, who we just beat in the World Baseball Series for the first time in 23 years!!! We should win.

I'm not a huge soccer fan, but I did watch most of the 2006 World Cup with all my soccer playing friends at home before coming to Korea. While here, I have watched a lot of soccer and have a lot of British friends who love the game, so here I am.

South Korea drew North Korea in the first round. This is interesting to me. They have played 11 times and South Korea has won 8, lost 2 and tied 1 (I think). During the Olympics, both Korea's play as one team, but the World Cup is more prestigious.

North Korea has never had too much glory in the sport, but in 1966 they surprised the world by upsetting Italy.

It's in Chinese, but here's a clip. Some call it the biggest World Cup upset yet.



So, who will win the match? This is how they decide things in Korea...

(This is the DMZ -the most heavily fortified border in the world.)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad you weren't living in korea when the world cup was there in 2002. South Korea also beat Italy in '02 in the knockout stage. Can't wait till 2010 South Africa...I'm going!!!

-Rodge