Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Wedding Tease...

Last Sunday, 고, her mom and I all went to check out the place where we want to have the wedding. I loved it. We reserved it today and it's official! I'm so excited!

The place is called Korea House. It's in the middle of Seoul with tall buildings rising in the background, but the wedding site seems like it is from centuries ago. The whole ceremony is quite interesting and just what we wanted.

Here are some shots...









Here's how it works. Traditionally, the wedding took place at the bride's house, but not anymore. First part of the wedding is the "Presentation of Wild Geese". The geese symbolize harmonious love between the bride and groom. During the procession, the best man holds a single wooden wild goose. He then hands it to the groom after a series of bows. Here's a below average picture of that.



From here I walk to the brides "house" and place the goose on a table. After bowing twice to my future mother-in-law, she takes the goose inside the house.




Then the bride comes out. This is my favorite part. The bride is wearing some very traditonal clothes. I can't wait to see 고 in it. She's going to look stunning!
She's under there I promise!



After she walks out, then we can finally see each other. Our hands are washed, which of course symbolizes cleanliness. We bow to each other twice and then kneel down facing each other.



Then we drink special rice wine from separate half gourds. The two gourds together make us whole. Then we join together and bow three times to our parents, ancenstors and guests.

Look at her outfit! It's amazing! Notice the dots on her face!



It's going to be amazing!!!! See you there?!!

I'm so excited to be taking part in this very special aspect of Korean culture. Not many Koreans do this anymore and even fewer foreigners get the chance! I can't wait.

I could only find one song that fit and it doesn't even fit that well. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the plans are falling into place. It all looks neat....sorry we can't experience it with you.

Anonymous said...

Looks very interesting...guess we will see it up front and personal.

Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

That was me...